The Netherlands Red Cross in collaboration with The Nature Foundation St. Maarten launched the project ReGreening SXM in January of 2020.
The goal of this project was to build a greener and more resilient island through restoration of natural and native vegetation throughout 2020. Project Leader Ernika van Putten’s focus was evaluating areas around St. Maarten to asses which are most vulnerable to storm devastation. These areas then received assistance via clean-ups and awareness campaigns and re-planting of indigenous species that will thrive in the conditions there.
Interested in learning more about the project?
Project announcement: Read Article Here
Download some of our great activities for all ages:
Learn about local plant species from the Fun Facts Social Media Posts below:
- Spinach Vine (Basella Alba)
- Almond Tree (Terminalia Catappa)
- Papaya, Papaw (Carica Papaya)
- Noni (Morinda Citrifolia)
- Soursop Tree (Annona Muricata)
- Coralita (Antigonon Leptopus)
- Pigeon Pea Tree (Cajanus Cajan)
- Sugar Cane (Saccharum Officinarum)
- Stinking-Toe (Hymenaea Courbaril)
- Sweet Sage/Lemon Mint (Lippia Alba)
- Bitter Melon (Momordica Charantia)