The Nature Foundation St Maarten is looking for a University student who would like to implement the Reduce and Reuse St Maarten Project. Visit the Reduce and Reuse page to learn about the project.
The world around St Maarten is already banning single-use plastics and reducing their reliance on plastic in general. With the state of this country’s landfill and the abundance of plastic and styrofoam in every day life, we need to raise the awareness of the population on the importance of reducing our “plastic footprint” sooner rather than later.
Duration: 3-6 months
Educational or Communication studies with environmental background or interest
Your duties would be, but not be limited to:
- Present about the Reduce and Reuse Project at local primary and high schools and other interested businesses or organizations.
- Encourage businesses to use reusable and biodegradable alternatives instead of single-use plastics.
- Create awareness and outreach materials.
- Write news articles and social media posts about the project and activities.
- Organize clean-ups with schools and local organizations.
- Perform a literature research for single-use plastic facts and their effect on the environment.
- Create an awareness video about trash and littering on the island and what people can do to reduce single-use plastics.
Your coach would be one of the Nature Foundation’s permanent staff and you’d meet once a week to discuss plans, progress, studies, results and next steps or hurdles.
- The aim of the Reduce and Reuse project is to reduce the amount of single-use plastics on the island and to create a cleaner and greener St Maarten.
- Your goal is to increase awareness about the harmful impacts of single-use plastics and encourage residents, children and businesses to reduce their single-use plastic waste output and clean-up the environment.
- we cannot offer you any pay during the internship
- we cannot offer housing but can assist in contacting local housing parties